Welcome to the website for the Ulster Canal Greenway, a Monaghan County Council-led project.
The site provides information on the Greenway for users.
It also provides information on the following:
- The original Ulster Canal, and how sections of it ended up in Monaghan County Council ownership
- How we developed the 4.5km section through Monaghan town into a walking & cycling path, with funding assistance from the Dept of Transport Tourism & Sport’s Smarter Travel programme
- The partners who helped us to protect the unique biodiversity which has lain virtually undisturbed since the 1930’s
- The special projects which are being developed along the Greenway
- The events which take place along the Greenway
- Who to contact for queries relating to the Greenway
The project is a Work in Progress. The section through Monaghan town is Phase I of what we hope will become one of Ireland’s longest off-road walking & cycling paths
The concept of Greenways is simple: they take disused transportation infrastructure such as abandoned railway lines and canals, and bring them back into use for sustainable transportation, such as walking and cycling.
You can read more about the wider context of Greenway development here
We hope you come to visit us, and when you do, please let us know your thoughts.